The fine folks at Stereogum premiered Holopaw’s “Through ‘Til The Morning” today! The 9+ minute dreamlike piece occupies the entire side of the forthcoming Sleeping States / Holopaw LGBT Pride Month 45 RPM split 12″ (on pink vinyl with a portion of proceeds to Point Foundation).
Misra Records is celebrating LGBT Pride Month in a really interesting way with this baffling new release from Holopaw (split with Sleeping States). Basically what happened here is Brian Deck and Benny Massarella of Califone (who announced their new album today) took Holopaw’s recent album, Academy Songs Vol. 1, and remixed the entire thing into a nine-minute song titled “Through ‘Til The Morning.” Sounds kind of intimidating, but even at nine minutes the track is absolutely overflowing with ideas yet never feels like a patchwork of songs. It’s a total journey, and hearing how it gets from its electronics-with-field-recording opening to a full-on tribal freak-out has just gotten more enjoyable with each listen. But what does this have to do with LGBT Pride Month, you ask? Well, both Markland Starkie (of Sleeping States) and John Orth (of Holopaw) are openly gay, and a portion of the sales go to The Point Foundation, a group set up to help support LGBTQ students. Give the track a listen below and check out the A-side by Sleeping States via OUT Magazine.
>>> >>> >>>
- Sleeping States / Holopaw Split 12″
- MSR069: Old vs. New EP b/w Through ’til the Morning EP
- Two EPs from two openly gay frontmen.
- Pink vinyl cut at 45 RPM featuring Pink Triangle for gay pride/rights
- Holopaw remix by Brian Deck (producer for Modest Mouse, Iron & Wine, etc).
- Out June 18, 2013 – LGBT Pride Month
- Please note: a portion of proceeds from album sales will go to The Point Foundation–an organization designed to help LGBTQ students achieve their full academic and leadership potential, despite obstacles put before them (pointfoundation.org).
You can pre-order the split 12″ here and receive both Sleeping States and Holopaw’s full-length Misra releases on CD when you do so. Thanks so much for your support! It means more than you know!