Archive for the ‘Kelley Deal’ tag
R. Ring Featured in Pitchfork’s Announcement of 20th Anniversary Reissue of The Breeders’ “Last Splash”
R. Ring’s “Fallout & Fire” was featured in Pitchfork’s announcement of the 20th Anniversary reissue of The Breeders’ Last Splash. R. Ring’s Kelley Deal will join the reunited Last Splash-era Breeders to celebrate 4AD’s deluxe reissue of this wonderful album. In addition, the band will play the Deerhunter-curated All Tomorrow’s Parties and tour around the album’s release.
This is particularly exciting for Misra, as three of the Last Splash-era Breeders (Kelley, her identical twin sister Kim Deal, and drummer Jim McPherson) live right here in the label’s hometown of Dayton, OH. Spirits are high around this historic event.
A reminder that R. Ring are on the road. The unorthodox two-piece outfit – featuring The Breeders’ Kelley Deal & Ampline’s Mike Montgomery – take a jaunt of the Midwest and the shallow South:
12/6: Bloomington, IN @ Russian Recording
12/7: Indianapolis, IN @ Radio Radio
12/8: Lexington, KY @ Green Lantern
With a spirit of gratitude, Grandma Misra is offering all Misra titles at 20% off. 2012 was a phenomenal year for the label and we are extremely thankful for all Misra artists and supporters.
- February 14: Shearwater’s Winged Life is issued on LP for the first time. The record features songs by SW frontman Jonathan Meiburg and Okkervil River’s Will Sheff. Shearwater then embarks on tours with St. Vincent, Dinosaur Jr. and more.
- February 14: Bears’ Greater Lakes is released. Grandma helped distribute the release and it’s praised by NPR Song of the Day, AP, Cleveland Scene, and many more.
- February 28: Water Liars’ debut Phantom Limb is met with great praise from A.V. Club, Daytrotter, No Depression, VICE, NPR Song of the Day, and more.
- March 15: Misra heads to SXSW 2012 with a showcase featuring R. Ring (The Breeders’ Kelley Deal & Ampline’s Mike Montgomery), Palomar, The Black Swans, Southeast Engine, Seryn, and Water Liars. The event is a wonderful success.
- July 31: The Black Swans’ Occasion for Song is released. It is met with phenomenal praise via Pitchfork, MOJO, Paste, MAGNET, AllMusic, Dusted, and many more. The band heads on tour with WHY? soon after.
- July 31: Southeast Engine’s Canaanville EP is released. Canaanville is a 4-song appendix EP to the band’s widely-hailed Canary album. For a baby release, it is met with great praise from Daytrotter, PopMatters, A.V. Club, and more. The band heads to Pickathon soon after.
- October 31: R. Ring – a new band comprised of The Breeders’ Kelley Deal & Ampline’s Mike Montgomery – release their debut “Fallout & Fire” b/w “SEE” 7″ on Misra. It is met with wild attention from Pitchfork, SPIN, Stereogum, VICE, and many more.
- November 13: Holopaw’s “Golden Sparklers” b/w “Yearling’s Darlings” is released. The 7″ single is the predecessor to Paw’s absolutely breathtaking Academy Songs, Volume I (out January 15, 2013). Pitchfork debuts the A-Side and Under the Radar debuts the B-Side.
R. Ring’s Kelley Deal doubles as a fabulous knitter. She has a book published – Bags that Rock – in which she shows you how it’s done.
In addition, Deal also hosts knitting workshops on the road. She recently held one at the Shitty Barn in Spring Green, WI and the wonderful Connie Ward documented it all via photo. Head here to check out the shots.
>> What better holiday gift than a scarf made by Kelley Deal?!?! Head here to purchase one.
Today is a special day! The debut 7″ by R. Ring (The Breeders’ Kelley Deal & Ampline’s Mike Montgomery) is officially released today – 10/30/2012. “Fallout & Fire” b/w “SEE” is an extremely special set of songs and the first Kelley Deal project in a very long while.
R. Ring were on Daytrotter today. Kelley Deal & Mike Montgomery performed three original songs that are *not* on the forthcoming “Fallout & Fire” b/w “See” 7″ (October 30), so that’s fun. Thanks so much to Sean, Phil & the Daytrotter gang for doing so much for independent music!
R. Ring’s debut 7″ has arrived and it looks wonderful. R. Ring is the new project of The Breeders’ Kelley Deal & Ampline’s Mike Montgomery. You can pre-order the “Fallout & Fire” b/w “See” 7″ here.
R. Ring, the new band of The Breeders’ Kelley Deal & Ampline’s Mike Montgomery, have seen some wonderful press. People are so excited to see Kelley back in action and it brings joy to our hearts. Oh, Deal is creating, creating, creating. The world needs it now more than ever. Mike Montgomery is the perfect musical partner for her. R. Ring slays.
My Stars! Pitchfork gave R. Ring some love today! This is the new band of The Breeders’ Kelley Deal & Ampline’s Mike Montgomery and it is gooooood (that voice)! Head here to hear the A-side (Orange-side) of the band’s debut “Fallout & Fire” b/w “See” 7″ — out October 30 on Misra. Thanks to Jenn Pelly and all at Pitchfork! R. Ring pre-order up very soon.
R. Ring are posed to hit the road again here soon (dates below). The four-day run kicks off in Kelley Deal’s hometown of Dayton, OH (Mike Montgomery will make the short drive from Dayton, KY to join).
In addition, R.R have made 100 copies of the DEVO song “Mr.DNA” that they covered with professional skateboarder Kristian Svitak on limited, hand-cut, griptape-covered blocks of wood, each custom stenciled by Dayton writer KELP! The discs contain an audio track of the song plus a video clip of the song re-edited by Adam Kure to Kristian’s original 88footwear skate part. They’ll be available starting August 29 at the aforementioned Southpark Tavern show in Dayton, OH (Kristian will be joining R. Ring on drums for this string of shows!). The track will still be available digitally through Mike’s Ampline-associated Phratry Records as well.
We’ll have a proper announcement regarding the release date of R. Ring’s debut release with Misra here very soon. We’ve got production underway and are making this thing sound and look great!
|08/29/12||Dayton, OH||South Park Tavern||United States|
|with King Elk (featuring members of Southeast Engine)|
|08/30/12||Youngstown, OH||Cedar’s Lounge||United States|
|Time: 8:00pm. Admission: $8. Age restrictions: 18+.|
|08/31/12||Cincinnati, OH||MidPoint Indie Summer Series||United States|
|Time: 7:00pm. Admission: free. Age restrictions: All Ages.|
|09/01/12||Athens, OH||The Union||United States|
|Address: 22 W Union St..|