Archive for the ‘The Black Swans’ tag
Noel Murray and the wonderful folks at The Onion A.V. Club placed both Water Liars and Southeast Engine in their 40 Great Songs of 2012 List. In addition, the popular music blog Captain’s Dead placed Water Liars’ Phantom Limb in their Best of 2012 list. That’s not to mention The Black Swans’ listing as #11 in American Songwriter’s Top 50 Songs of 2012… and more…
The Black Swans were recently listed at #11 on American Songwriter’s Top 50 Songs of 2012. Written by Jerry DeCicca, the heavy-hearted “Portsmouth, Ohio” chronicles the day the band’s late violinist Noel Sayre died in a swimming pool accident, with a journalistic eye and no sentimentality, taking the listener from the diving board to the I.C.U. to chicken salad sandwiches on the 4th of July. The swimming pool is featured on the cover of Occasion for Song (Misra; 2012). “Portsmouth, Ohio” has the signature of most great songs – a seemingly effortless ability to make time stand still. It’s a phenomenal track. Do listen here.
Columbus Alive! premiered The Black Swans’ video for “Where Are You Tonight?” – track 7 from Occasion for Song (Misra; 2012). The wonderfully hilarious video features Billy “The Columbus King” Cash and embodies the lovable, melancholic characteristics of one of the greatest bands around today. Enjoy!
With a spirit of gratitude, Grandma Misra is offering all Misra titles at 20% off. 2012 was a phenomenal year for the label and we are extremely thankful for all Misra artists and supporters.
- February 14: Shearwater’s Winged Life is issued on LP for the first time. The record features songs by SW frontman Jonathan Meiburg and Okkervil River’s Will Sheff. Shearwater then embarks on tours with St. Vincent, Dinosaur Jr. and more.
- February 14: Bears’ Greater Lakes is released. Grandma helped distribute the release and it’s praised by NPR Song of the Day, AP, Cleveland Scene, and many more.
- February 28: Water Liars’ debut Phantom Limb is met with great praise from A.V. Club, Daytrotter, No Depression, VICE, NPR Song of the Day, and more.
- March 15: Misra heads to SXSW 2012 with a showcase featuring R. Ring (The Breeders’ Kelley Deal & Ampline’s Mike Montgomery), Palomar, The Black Swans, Southeast Engine, Seryn, and Water Liars. The event is a wonderful success.
- July 31: The Black Swans’ Occasion for Song is released. It is met with phenomenal praise via Pitchfork, MOJO, Paste, MAGNET, AllMusic, Dusted, and many more. The band heads on tour with WHY? soon after.
- July 31: Southeast Engine’s Canaanville EP is released. Canaanville is a 4-song appendix EP to the band’s widely-hailed Canary album. For a baby release, it is met with great praise from Daytrotter, PopMatters, A.V. Club, and more. The band heads to Pickathon soon after.
- October 31: R. Ring – a new band comprised of The Breeders’ Kelley Deal & Ampline’s Mike Montgomery – release their debut “Fallout & Fire” b/w “SEE” 7″ on Misra. It is met with wild attention from Pitchfork, SPIN, Stereogum, VICE, and many more.
- November 13: Holopaw’s “Golden Sparklers” b/w “Yearling’s Darlings” is released. The 7″ single is the predecessor to Paw’s absolutely breathtaking Academy Songs, Volume I (out January 15, 2013). Pitchfork debuts the A-Side and Under the Radar debuts the B-Side.
Reminder: Shearwater supporting Dinosaur Jr. • Black Swans supporting WHY? • R. Ring, Southeast Engine, Water Liars, Will Johnson, Centro-matic Tours
A reminder that Shearwater are currently supporting Dinosaur Jr., Black Swans are supporting WHY?, and R. Ring, Southeast Engine, Water Liars, Will Johnson (solo), and Centro-matic all having forthcoming tours. Hallelujah the Hills and Emily Rodgers also have a few shows lined up as well.
Head to the tour page on Misra’s site here to learn more. Thanks for supporting independent music!
The Black Swans will support WHY? from October 19-November 5. Opening for a seminal independent hip-hop rock band will surely be an experience for our existential folk rockers. Alas, both The Black Swans and WHY? are quite idiosyncratic and share a similar ethos. In addition, WHY? have a great appreciation for music in TBS’ wheelhouse. It will be a phenomenal and eclectic tour.
The Black Swans have received phenomenal praise for their most recent long-player from Pitchfork, MOJO, MAGNET, AllMusic, Paste, Dusted, PopMatters, Prefix, Blurt!, Consequence of Sound, Coke Machine Glow, No Depression, Uprooted Music Revue, and many more. Full album download is below.
The Black Swans Opening for WHY?
- 10/19: Chicago, IL • Lincoln Hall
- 10/20: Pittsburgh, PA • Altar
- 10/21: Brooklyn, NY • Music Hall of Williamsburg
- 10/23: Charlottesville, VA • Newcomb Ballroom
- 10/24: Richmond, VA • Canal Club
- 10/25: Athens, GA • 40 Watt Club
- 10/26: Jacksonville, FL • Jack Rabbits
- 10/27: Orlando, FL • The Social
- 10/28: Tampa, FL • Crowbar
- 10/29: Tallahassee, FL • Club Downunder
- 10/30: Mobile, AL • Alabama Music Box
- 10/31: Baton Rouge, LA • Spanish Moon
- 11/1: Houston, TX • Walter’s
- 11/2: Dallas, TX • Sons of Hermann Hall
- 11/4: Oklahoma City, OK • ACM@UCO Performance Lab
- 11/5: St. Louis, MO • Luminary Arts
The Black Swans’ video for “Mask from Memory” debuted on American Songwriter today. Via AS:
“Indie-folk outfit The Black Swans’ latest album Occasion for Song is tinged with the grief of the passing of founding member Noel Sayre. Watch the striking video for the album track “Mask From Memory.”
‘The song is story of process and dreams …. imagining yourself creating a mask of your friend that died to see things through his eyes,’ vocalist/guitarist Jerry DeCicca tells American Songwriter. ‘The mask is the memory you see the world through; the construction is the song’s metaphor for engaging your own thoughts and feelings in hopes of learning something about yourself.’”
Black Swans on Coke Machine Glow • Will Johnson & Patterson Hood Interview One Another on Aquarium Drunkard
The Black Swans were recently featured via Coke Machine Glow. This is added to a long list of outstanding reviews, praise, and features:
- Largehearted Boy
- Consequence of Sound
- No Depression
- MTV Hive and many more
Centro-matic’s Will Johnson & Patterson Hood interviewed one another for Aquarium Drunkard’s Longshot feature. It’s a fun piece and you can read it here.
Oh, stars on high, The Black Swans press keeps rolling in and it’s all been wonderful. In addition to having one of the most read reviews on Pitchfork this past week, along with being featured in Dusted, Paste, PopMatters, AllMusic, Prefix, Largehearted Boy, Blurt, Consequence of Sound, No Depression, and more, Jerry and the boys have now been featured in the September 2012 issue of MOJO! It’s in a feature titled “The MOJO Playlist.”
Check it out there above, pick up a copy at your local bookstore, and go see a show by this phenomenal band (on tour now). They’re guaranteed to fly right over the top of your conservative Aunt Deb’s head and strike a cord with your with-it uncle who loves Kris Kristofferson.
Tonight’s the night! The Black Swans hold their album release at Rumba in Columbus, OH. Also on the bill are Old Hundred & Dolfish – here is the Facebook event for it all. If you’re in the area, do make sure to head out and pick up a copy.