Archive for the ‘water liars’ tag
Motel Beds did a Do317 Live Lounge Session for standouts “Smoke Your Homework” and “Western Son.” They play Indy at Do317 Lounge this Friday, 3/7 with Water Liars + more and Chicago at Subterranean this Saturday, 3/8 with The Future Laureates + more. Afterward, they embark on a SXSW tour. We’ll have more on that soon.
Though Water Liars frontman Justin Kinkel-Schuster now resides in Mississippi (or Mi$$i$$ippi as he prefers to call it) alongside drummer Andrew Bryant, the band has roots in St. Louis. The fine folks at KDHX took some photos of Water Liars opening for Angel Olsen (also tied to St. Louis) at a recent Off Broadway show. All photos by Louis Kwok.
Daytrotter posted 970 sessions and nearly 4,000 songs this year. They made a list of the Top 70 sessions and the Top 200 songs of the year. Both Water Liars’ fantastic song “Dog Eaten” and their early 2012 session made Daytrotter’s cut.
Misra took on Water Liars from the ground floor – with 0 sales and 0 name recognition – and released their debut record Phantom Limb. As is true in working with any new artist, it was a very arduous undertaking, but we’re happy to be part of it all. We’re even happier that their phenomenal debut garnered some great praise. Listen to the album version of Water Liars’ “Dog Eaten” via NPR Song of the Day. Enjoy!
Uprooted Music Revue / No Depression have featured The Black Swans’ Occasion for Song and Water Liars’ Phantom Limb in a list titled “Favorite Audio Releases of 2012.” Thanks so much to the wonderful Chris Mateer for his continued support. Make sure to follow Uprooted Music Revue into 2013 and like them on Facebook and Twitter. Get both records for 20% off during Misra’s Holiday Sale!
Misra’s Holiday Sale will be wrapping up by year’s end. In celebration of a phenomenal 2012, everything is 20% off over at the Misra store.
- February 14: Shearwater’s Winged Life is issued on LP for the first time. The record features songs by SW frontman Jonathan Meiburg and Okkervil River’s Will Sheff. Shearwater then embarks on tours with St. Vincent, Dinosaur Jr. and more.
- February 14: Bears’ Greater Lakes is released. Grandma helped distribute the release and it’s praised by NPR Song of the Day, AP, Cleveland Scene, and many more.
- February 28: Water Liars’ debut Phantom Limb is met with great praise from A.V. Club, Daytrotter, No Depression, VICE, NPR Song of the Day, and more.
- March 15: Misra heads to SXSW 2012 with a showcase featuring R. Ring (The Breeders’ Kelley Deal & Ampline’s Mike Montgomery), Palomar, The Black Swans, Southeast Engine, Seryn, and Water Liars. The event is a wonderful success.
- July 31: The Black Swans’ Occasion for Song is released. It is met with phenomenal praise viaPitchfork, MOJO, Paste, MAGNET, AllMusic, Dusted, and many more. The band heads on tour with WHY? soon after.
- July 31: Southeast Engine’s Canaanville EP is released. Canaanville is a 4-song appendix EP to the band’s widely-hailed Canary album. For a baby release, it is met with great praise fromDaytrotter, PopMatters, A.V. Club, and more. The band heads to Pickathon soon after.
- October 31: R. Ring – a new band comprised of The Breeders’ Kelley Deal & Ampline’s Mike Montgomery – release their debut “Fallout & Fire” b/w “SEE” 7″ on Misra. It is met with wild attention from Pitchfork, SPIN, Stereogum, VICE, and many more.
- November 13: Holopaw’s “Golden Sparklers” b/w “Yearling’s Darlings” is released. The 7″ single is the predecessor to Paw’s absolutely breathtaking Academy Songs, Volume I (out January 15, 2013). Pitchfork debuts the A-Side and Under the Radar debuts the B-Side.
Noel Murray and the wonderful folks at The Onion A.V. Club placed both Water Liars and Southeast Engine in their 40 Great Songs of 2012 List. In addition, the popular music blog Captain’s Dead placed Water Liars’ Phantom Limb in their Best of 2012 list. That’s not to mention The Black Swans’ listing as #11 in American Songwriter’s Top 50 Songs of 2012… and more…
With a spirit of gratitude, Grandma Misra is offering all Misra titles at 20% off. 2012 was a phenomenal year for the label and we are extremely thankful for all Misra artists and supporters.
- July 31: The Black Swans’ Occasion for Song is released. It is met with phenomenal praise via Pitchfork, MOJO, Paste, MAGNET, AllMusic, Dusted, and many more. The band heads on tour with WHY? soon after.
- July 31: Southeast Engine’s Canaanville EP is released. Canaanville is a 4-song appendix EP to the band’s widely-hailed Canary album. For a baby release, it is met with great praise from Daytrotter, PopMatters, A.V. Club, and more. The band heads to Pickathon soon after.
Water Liars recently went on tour with Michigan’s Frontier Ruckus. The wonderful folks at KDHX caught their St. Louis show and wrote a concert review. Check that out here and pick up a copy of Water Liars’ excellent debut Phantom Limb here.
Reminder: Shearwater supporting Dinosaur Jr. • Black Swans supporting WHY? • R. Ring, Southeast Engine, Water Liars, Will Johnson, Centro-matic Tours
A reminder that Shearwater are currently supporting Dinosaur Jr., Black Swans are supporting WHY?, and R. Ring, Southeast Engine, Water Liars, Will Johnson (solo), and Centro-matic all having forthcoming tours. Hallelujah the Hills and Emily Rodgers also have a few shows lined up as well.
Head to the tour page on Misra’s site here to learn more. Thanks for supporting independent music!